Chris's Reviews > Possession

Possession by A.S. Byatt

For me, Possession is like a bottle of wine or a box of really good chocolate (the really, expensive and sinfully good kind). There is an aboluste beauty in this book, and it seems to lie in the details. How all the characters still in character, the resolution to both romances at the end, all the touches about criticism - all these ring true.

Over the years I have read this book, my favorite character has gone from Maud to Leonora then to both. Leonora, it seems to me, is so much larger than life, and I have to wonder if the character got away from Byatt, if perhaps, she had been intended to be more of "bad" critic than she is.

One of the best and greatest books ever written. Without a doubt, a canon book. Something I re-read every year to year and a half.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Possession.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Stefan (new)

Stefan You really expressed your love for this book! I've seen some really extreme opinions of it ... Sounds like something I should check out!

message 2: by Sandi (new) - added it

Sandi I admire your passion for this book. I couldn't finish it.

Chris I'm sorry you didn't like it. I have to admit, as someone who has read some really, really strange essays about English lit, I love Byatt's use of critical theory in the book.

message 4: by Sandi (new) - added it

Sandi I was really surprised that I couldn't get through it. It seems to be right up my alley. I probably wasn't in the right frame of mind. I made it through The Historian and that was much more ponderous. My daughter even liked it and she usually reads fluff. I'll have to give it another go when I'm in the mood to exercise my brain.

message 5: by Jeanette (new)

Jeanette  "Astute Crabbist" Holy cow! Read count = 10! You REALLY love this book!

Julie I am filled with insatiable desire to reread this after your review, Chris!

message 7: by Jill (new)

Jill I tried years ago, and put it down. But the problem then, I think, was me...not the book. You've just encouraged me to pick it up once again!

Michele Exactly the same feeling for me, I keep hoping I will find a book equally well-written,it is so engrossing and so clever , and no it is not rude to say someone is clever .
Has anyone noticed that at one point the two modern protagonists find the correspondance between Randolph Ash and Isobel. 99% of writers would have contented themselves with simply telling you about it. She actually writes the aforesaid correspondance extensively . A.S Bayatt is brilliant, to me it is by far her best book.

Debi I am another who reads this book every 1 to 2 years. You said it: its like that really good red wine and those chocolates that you savor - rich, full bodied and sensuous.