Eva Leger's Reviews > The Perks of Being a Wallflower

The Perks of Being a Wallflower by Stephen Chbosky

Mar 15, 09

bookshelves: b-fiction, glbt
Recommended to Eva by: just saw it around
Recommended for: ----
Read in March, 2009, read count: once

I would do a 2.5 rating on this if I could. I think Chbosky tried way to hard to have a comparable book to The Catcher In The Rye. I think he tried way to hard to have a book that is 'easy to read but hard to read well' to use his own words.
I absolutely hated the way everything had to be 'it is' or 'you are' or 'we are' instead of 'it's', 'you're', and 'we're'. No one, no matter their age, that I know speaks like that. I fully understand that he was trying to make it feel like a young boy but that just made it feel fake to me.
I was not offended as I have seen and heard some people say the stuff the kid went through and said and thought are some (all?) of the things kids that age do go through. I am not easily offended anyway though.
I do not think this book is in any way comparable to The Catcher In The Rye. I am actually really shocked that anyone would actually say that. Even if I did not like The Catcher I still would not think it is comparable in any way.
I am also a little surprised at how many people are calling this a favorite. It was not a total waste of time for me and I probably would have given it a whole star to a star and a half more if the writing was a little more realistic also.
**(How annoying was this review? I am sorry this was not more of a 'normal' review but it was not something I could have done after reading The Perks of Being a Wallflower.)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Perks of Being a Wallflower.

03/07/2009 page 1
0.47% "starting next" 5 comments
03/13/2009 page 45
21.13% "very fast to get through- I just started it about a half hour ago..not sure what to think yet..."
03/14/2009 page 87
40.85% "this is so easy to read yet so hard...almost a chore in a roundabout way"
03/14/2009 page 142
66.67% 3 comments
show 2 hidden updates…

Wendy I just finished it. Sigh...it was WAAAAAAAAY more hype than substance.