Mathew's Reviews > Our Tragic Universe

Our Tragic Universe by Scarlett Thomas

M_50x66
Jun 21, 12

Read from June 15 to 21, 2012

As I enjoyed The End of Mr Y and Popco was better than average, I though I'd give this a go. Give it a go I did, I really did. Several times I nearly gave up but I persevered. I found just as I was losing interest something would briefly grab my attention and I'd be back in.

It has been described as 'brimming with ideas', and it does force upon the reader some random psuedo-facts and ideas. Much like the authors other novels these usually revolve around homeopathy and other related hokum. This is usually delivered in the most basic form of dialogue - 'oooo by the way did I ever tell you about blah blah' or something along those lines. Of course there is nothing wrong with this when done in moderation, but for me there was just too much.

The major problem i had with this is that nothing really happens, nothing at all. I think this is deliberate as the author often makes reference to 'storyless stories', but I'd like a little something more, I'd like a story. Some of the characters are interesting, but predictable, and everyone seems to be a writer when they don't need to be.

Overall a good idea based around a uninteresting story.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Our Tragic Universe.