Amanda's Reviews > The Confidant

The Confidant by Hélène Grémillon

Jul 05, 12

bookshelves: first-reads, reviewed
Read from June 29 to July 04, 2012 — I own a copy, read count: 1

I received this ARC from the Goodreads First Reads program.

This book was an interesting read. The book is told through multiple points of view, which really makes the reader question which is the most reliable narrator. In the present, we have Camille, a woman who has just lost her mother and begins to receive letters from Louis every Tuesday. His letters detail the relationship between a woman named Annie and the M.'s, a couple who are desperate to have a baby. The letter's detail Annie's side of the story, however, we also get Madame M.'s perspective at the end of the novel.

I had a hard time putting this down because I wanted to find out why Louis was sending these letters and what Camille had to do with this story from World War II. I had my own guess but wanted to see how the plot would play out!

I have to say that I did have a hard time liking the character of Annie. I questioned many of her motives and found her to be quite manipulative - not the innocent that she tried to portray herself as to Louis. Madame M. was a character that I was truly split on. I wasn't sure whether to believe Annie's descriptions of her or not, and still was left questioning what she was really like by the end of the book! I think it goes back to who is the most reliable narrator, and I truly don't know if I have an answer to that - though I think I'm leaning more towards Madame M...

The ending was what I predicted, though Gremillon does throw in a twist or two that I didn't see coming, which I really appreciated! The book is translated from the original French which may explain a bit of the choppiness in some sections.

Overall, the book is intriguing and really makes you question the motives of the characters. No one is what they may seem!!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Confidant.