Kerry's Reviews > Heading Out to Wonderful

Heading Out to Wonderful by Robert Goolrick

Jul 01, 12

bookshelves: southern, historical-fiction
Read on June 15, 2012

I hardly know where to begin. I just finished this book, and I feel as though I haven't resurfaced, as though my eyes are fogged and my mind is still not my own. I haven't been this swept away by a novel in a long time. Goolrick's prose is stunning and spellbinding and the story he weaves is brilliant, devastating, very real and very human. I wish I knew how to describe his weaving together of landscape, small town southern life, movies, and baseball to create a setting that is as much a character as Charlie, Sylvan, or Sam. I can say that the effect is magical. The human characters are wonderful as well - rich, complex, and utterly believable. Except for the bad guy, these are people I either already knew or found myself wanting to know; the ones I didn't simply love I liked a whole lot. I am so very glad I treated myself to this book - you will be, too!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Heading Out to Wonderful.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lydia (new)

Lydia OH -- I see that you did! :) Yes, I loved it too. :)

Carmen You totally captured my feelings exactly!

Kerry Carmen wrote: "You totally captured my feelings exactly!"

Thanks! It was hard to put my response into words :)

message 4: by Lisa (new) - added it

Lisa Gremore I absolutely can not wait to read it. I loved A Reliable Wife. I checked out the first few pages at Barnes and Noble, I hate to shell out 25.00 bucks for a book, but I really doubt I can wait until it hits paperback. The man's writing is unique and it is hard to describe!! I shall savor it like cake, hard to find a real good book.

Kerry Lisa, I liked it even more than A Reliable Wife (which I also loved). Totally different flavor, but yes, worth savoring like cake. Or, in my case, ice cream :)

message 6: by Lisa (new) - added it

Lisa Gremore I can hardly wait. My son suggested I Melcat it. I truly did not think they'd have it. They do. I am waiting. This book I am reading now is weird, or more likely than not, I am weird. I do not know if I like the main character or not, it is frustrating. I might skim it, I haven't skimmed for years, did that when I read all those little books, the books you kinda try to hide the cover? lol. What is next for you? I always feel bad when a really good book is over. Lisa

Kerry Lisa, I just finished Gillian Flynn's Gone Girl, which is also very weird and wonderful :) Now I'm re-reading an old favorite, Guy Gavriel Kay's historical fantasy, The Last Light of the Sun.

message 8: by Lisa (new) - added it

Lisa Gremore Hi
I shall follow your booklist lol. thanks for friend invite I accept but as of yet see no button to push!! told ya I was off. Lisa

Lisa I agree, Goolrick is a magical writer.. but.. I felt left flat at the end? what did you think about the direction he took Sylvan and Charlie?

message 10: by Lisa (new) - added it

Lisa What a great review! You make me want to drop the one I'm reading and pick this one up right now! I have this one in my "to read" pile, but now it's moving up to the front!

message 11: by Lisa (new) - rated it 3 stars

Lisa Lisa wrote: "What a great review! You make me want to drop the one I'm reading and pick this one up right now! I have this one in my "to read" pile, but now it's moving up to the front!"

I wouldn't drop what you are reading... If you like tragic endings.. then you will like this. He is a wonderful writer.. but be prepared for a strange tale...

message 12: by Lisa (new) - added it

Lisa Bookcharm wrote: "Lisa wrote: "What a great review! You make me want to drop the one I'm reading and pick this one up right now! I have this one in my "to read" pile, but now it's moving up to the front!"

I wouldn'..."

Hmmm... That sounds intriguing... I won't drop what I've got, but I am picking up the pace! Thanks for the heads up!