Alex's Reviews > Barely Breathing

Barely Breathing by Rebecca Donovan

Jun 15, 12

Just loved this book. The first book (Reason to Breathe) to me was more emotionally powerful, just because I felt like Emma was still discovering how to cope with falling in love and dealing with Carol. The way that Donovan wrote about her being beat in the first book to me was so much more powerful, and the fact that Emma could smile through all that was just simply amazing. Barely Breathing was an outstanding read though, I loved it too. Another type of emotion for me, with her "sober" mother and all. Emma really lost herself in this book though as it tried to focus outside of the school and more on her life at home, with Rachel and Jonathan and Evan. I was a little disappointed that there wasn't more with Evan, he seemed really distant in the book as if he was mentioned as often, it may just me, but I felt as if he was almost ignored to introduce this other interest in Jonathan which really left a bad taste in my mouth. I feel as if she could have found a better way to keep Evan in the story.

Overall though, I love the series and can't wait for the new one.
2 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Barely Breathing.

Quotes Alex Liked

Rebecca Donovan
“I breathed for you... I begged for you to breathe with every breath I gave to you. I kept pleading for you to breathe over and over again. And then… then you did. ~ Evan”
Rebecca Donovan, Barely Breathing