Lisa's Reviews > The Ugly Duchess

4020044
Jun 15, 12

bookshelves: 2012, edelweiss, cute
Read on June 15, 2012

The Ugly Dutchess is the best historical romance I've read in a few months. The last four or five I've read have all had characters I couldn't become invested in and plots that bored me.

This had me completely hooked for the first third or until (view spoiler). The middle part of the book was a bit meh for me but (view spoiler).

I loved that this book was inspired by The Ugly Duckling by Hans Christian Anderson. I know it was only a slight inspiration but I love any kind of fairy tale retelling. It just makes romantic things seem so much more romantic.

I loved Theo/Daisy. I guess I just thought she had a lot of spunk and she was incredibly likeable. It was hard to understand why people think she's "ugly" because she sounded attractive when James would describe her. Apparently, she's very slim with luscious hair. The only thing that kept getting brought up was her being boyish or manly. Maybe they meant her lack of curves? I don't know. That was one thing that confused me; why she was nicknamed the "Ugly Dutchess".

I loved James during the first third of the book and then I loved him a little bit less. (view spoiler) My main thought towards the end was, "A poppy on his cheek? What?" I absolutely loved him when he talked about his memories with Daisy as a child. It was ah-dor-ah-ble.

I thought the book was the proper amount of hot. I thought the sexual tension and "love" scenes were all excellent. I thought it was hotter than 50 shades but what do I know? I thought the first sex scene in this book was dope. That's right, DOPE. It was one of the better I've read in historical romances but that's just my opinion.

I love stories where two people grow up with each other and then fall in love and I thought this one was sweet and romantic.

I only knocked off a star because the middle part was a little dull compared to the beginning and the end but the majority of the book was great. I actually teared up once or twice.

I will definitely be reading more from Eloisa James(most likely more of her fairytale inspired books) and I would recommend this book to people who love historical romances.

(Thanks to Edelweiss and Avon for allowing me to read this book in exchange for my honest opinion)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Ugly Duchess.

06/15/2012 page 144