David Clark's Reviews > The Holy Longing: The Search for a Christian Spirituality

The Holy Longing by Ronald Rolheiser

Jun 15, 12

bookshelves: christian, non-fiction, summer2012, spiritual-direction
Read in June, 2012

This was a book recommended by a wise and thoughtful friend and it did not disappoint. I have used it for my morning devotionals and both the author's craft and content have been a rich source of delight and stimulation. I awarded this book five stars but a better measure might be the copious margin notes, underlining, and large number of colored reminder tags now peeking out from the text.

Rolheiser writes from a Roman Catholic point of view but is remarkably open handed. This is not to suggest the author does not advance a theological point of view. However, the author chooses to search for and occupy that ground common to all Christ followers. As a non-Roman Catholic, I found his critique of both Protestant and Catholic approaches to spiritual practice fair, open-handed, and quite helpful.

A particularly notable feature of this book is Rolheiser's emphasis upon an ecclesiology centered Spiritual Practice. While others have suggested we need religion rather than spirituality--perhaps a glib caveat spurred by the our current hyper-individualistic culture--Rolheiser's book clearly suggests this push to choose between spirituality and religion is unnecessary--heretical even.

A well written book, a book of practical help I will recommend to my students and friends, and a book of wisdom to which I shall return.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Holy Longing.