Tina's Reviews > The Girl Who Circumnavigated Fairyland in a Ship of Her Own Making

The Girl Who Circumnavigated Fairyland in a Ship of Her Own M... by Catherynne M. Valente

Jun 15, 2012

bookshelves: favorites, 2012, fantasy, best-2012, ya
Read from September 19 to 28, 2012

Original post at One More Page

I've been wanting to get The Girl Who Circumnavigated Fairyland in a Ship of Her Own Making (will be called Fairyland from here on out) by Catherynne M. Valente ever since I read a review from The Book Smugglers. I was curious because they both gave high ratings for the book, but I was also a bit too stingy to get myself a hardbound copy, and it was quite hard to find one in local bookstores here. But patience is a virtue, because after some waiting, I finally spotted a paperback copy of the book in Fully Booked one time early this year.

Twelve-year-old September is Somewhat Grown and Somewhat Heartless, and when the Green Wind and a Leopard of Little Breezes came and asked to join them into Fairyland, she accepts. What follows is a fun adventure where September gets her courage and wishes washed, befriends the wyvern born from a library, and sets out to Fix Things for Fairyland who has been under a rule of a villainous Marquess.

I read the book for my Required Reading in September, just because the main character's name is also September. I was prepared for a light and joyful fantasy romp, and I was really hoping that I would like it as much as the other reviewers said they did.

And you know what? I liked Fairyland very much! Fairyland is such a smart and fun book -- fun because of all the adventures and characters that our heroine meets along the way, and smart because things were never really explained in detail, but the readers were allowed to figure things out. Everything in the book was so creative and bright and shiny, and I was truly, truly invested in everyone in the boo.

But it's not all bright and happy and joyful all the time -- there was bloodshed, and several dark moments in the book that made me realize that it's not really a children's book after all. But I liked how it balanced off the fun elements and really brings out the point of the story and also makes September and our other characters grow up.

Other than the story, I really loved the writing. Valente's writing is very whimsical and charming, and I was surprised at how many pages I have dog-eared in the book. There were some passages that were just fun (but true), like:

Some full of wisdom:
When you are born, your courage is new and clean. You are brave enough for anything: crawling off staircases, saying your first words without fearing that someone will think you are foolish, putting strange things in your mouth. But as you get older, your courage attracts gunk and crusty things and dirt and fear and knowing how bad things can get and what pain feels like. By the time you're half-grown, your courage barely moves at all, it's so grunged up with living. So every once and a while, you have to scrub it and get the works going or else you'll never be brave again...So most people go around with grimy machinery, when all it would take is a bit of spit and polish to make paladins once more, bold knights and true.

While some just squeezed my heart:

Fairyland is a fun book, and I like that there's more to look forward to in the next book, which I hear is also very, very good. I'm looking forward to reading more of September's adventures (and finding out about that part near the ending -- Did you see her?) and also reading Cat Valente's other books for her gorgeous writing. :)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Girl Who Circumnavigated Fairyland in a Ship of Her Own Making.

09/20/2012 page 5
1.0% "All children are heartless. They have not grown a heart yet, which is why they can climb tall trees and say shocking things and leap so very high that grown-up hearts flutter in terror. Hearts weigh quite a lot. That's why it takes so long to grow one."
09/21/2012 page 60
18.0% "Stories have a way of changing faces. They are unruly things, undisciplined, given to delinquency and the throwing of erasers. This is why we must close then up into thick, solid books, so they cannot get out and cause trouble. (p. 48-49)"
09/21/2012 page 67
20.0% "September read often, and liked it best when words did not pretend to be simple, but put on their full armor and rode out with colors flying."
09/21/2012 page 87
26.0% "When you are born, your courage is new and clean. You are brave enough for anything: crawling off staircases, saying your first words without fearing that someone will think you are foolish, putting strange things in your mouth. But as you get older, your courage attracts gunk and crusty things and dirt and fear and knowing how bad things can get and what pain feels like." 2 comments
09/23/2012 page 139
42.0% "Temperament, you'll find, is highly dependent on time of day, weather, frequency of naps, and whether one has had enough to eat." 1 comment
09/24/2012 page 148
45.0% "I will walk wherever it is I wish to go. I will walk to my grandfather the Municipal Library, and he will praise me for my unselfishness. I have walked my whole life. More will not hurt me.
- Aww, Ell."
09/25/2012 page 186
57.0% "September remembered what he said, that they belonged to each other. She rather liked to think that. She felt it was a thing that she might take out and look at when all was dark and cold, and it might warm her."
09/28/2012 page 232
71.0% "What is a map but a thing that gets you where you're going?"
09/28/2012 page 328
100.0% "All stories must end so, with the next tale winking out of the corners of the last pages, promising more, promising moonlight and dancing and revels, if only you will come back when spring comes again."

message 1: by Christine (new)

Christine What a curious title!

message 2: by Reev (new)

Reev Robledo Ah, so it's a favorite. Will you make a review? :)

Tina Reev: Yeah, I'll write a review. Not sure when, but I will. :)