Georgina Martin (Bookz and Bitz)'s Reviews > Tomorrow, When the War Began

Tomorrow, When the War Began by John Marsden

I'd heard that the film to this book was coming out, and I HATE seeing films when I've not read the book - I like to compare the two. Plus the film had various soap stars in, which made it a MUST SEE (yes I am that sad).

The genre is not really my usual read - I like supernatural or love stories. War type books are too close to home, too real for me. But Marsdens story telling won me over. The thing I like about this book is the fact that it is so real. Ellie could be you or me, or the girl next door (if you live in rural oz, obviously). Ellie's not perfect, shes selfish, a bit of a coward at times and she is still a teenager, driven by hormones, all of them are still kids and the book does well to identify and with that - they don't suddenly become master war makers, they are just scared kids who have some lucky escapes and learn as they go. I dont want to spoil the rest of the series in my review, but I will say I also like the moral dilemmas that the kids face, especially Ellie, when they realise the soliders are not the enemy so to speak, but just people trying to survive as much as they are.

I cant really fault the book, although I'd love to know who actually invaded - something thats not revealed AFAIK (I'm on book 4), its not a major issue but it would make it more 'real'.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Tomorrow, When the War Began.