Stacia (the 2010 club)'s Reviews > The Shattered Dark

The Shattered Dark by Sandy Williams

Mar 09, 13

bookshelves: adult, urban-fantasy, fae-or-pixies, casters-or-witches
Read in March, 2013

"If I could undo my past for you, McKenzie, I would. But I don't have that power. No fae does."

Original reaction moments after finishing :

%$@%&"*@%#$#!!!

Mother effin son of a basket weaver!!! My heart can't take this turn of events! Review to come later after I've calmed down somewhat.

Hours later :

Hmmm...I might have overreacted a tad.

Actual review :

It pains me to have to throw out another 3.5 star review this week because I really want to commit to a solid 4 star review, but there's no getting around what happened and how much I did not want this development. I honestly thought that the one major issue was nixed in book 1 and I was stupidly optimistic on that front.

Did this aggravating development sour me to the series? No. Not at all.
Do I wish I could reach through the internet and shake Ms. Sandy Williams for what she did? Yes. Sorry, but it's true.

When I put aside my feelings about 'the incident,' I can look at The Shattered Dark with a little less frustration. In general, I was happy with my reading experience. Sure, I was a little lost at first over what was going on, but I blame that more on me reading so many books in such a short amount of time that I can't seem to keep much world and/or character building straight in my own head. This series has a lot of characters, so it took me a minute to try and remember who was who. This is one of the only cases in book history where I actually appreciated a little bit of recap.

As I was reading, I realized that I need to make a return to fae-based fantasy and urban fantasy. There's something fascinating about the fae kind which draws me into their lore and magic. Shifters, vamps, etc. all tend to be fairly one-note, but the realm of the fae lends itself to so many possibilities.

Case in point : McKenzie Lewis is a human who reads the shadow portals left behind from the fae. She maps out in her own mind what she sees, which makes her a valuable asset as a tracker for both sides of the factions at war with each other.

Imagine a book of world-jumping, element-bending, ass-kicking, and magical healing. This is what we're dealing with. It's a lot of fun. Sometimes it's just plain amusing. Ah, those silly fae and their ignorance of all things human.
When I'm able to focus again, I'm staring at my cut restraints. "They were Velcro."
"What?" Kyol asks.
"Velcro." Strong Velcro, but the dagger wasn't needed.

And for those of us who like the guy-candy...there's a whole lotta lotta that. Aren is still my number 1, but dammit, Kyol was tugging at the heartstrings this time around as well. Talk about complicating matters. I wanted to just sit there and swoon over Aren. Period. But no...Kyol is looking attractive in his own right after I got to witness some lovely flashback scenes with him in them. I swear, I'm having Dorian and Kiyo flashbacks because of the opposite faction thing and I'm not entirely sure I like this because it means I won't ever know if anyone is trustworthy until the very end. My heart was doing gymnastic flips the entire time. I love feeling like this but also hate it too.
"I want to deserve you."

And of course, I couldn't close out this review without mentioning the one thing which had me ridiculously excited when I was writing my review for book 1 : the kimki! Sosch, the cute hybrid ferret/cat/whatever creature was back! I love this mischievous little furball. The books are worth a read just to see what this little scamp is up to. He's quite the active wanderer!
Sosch lets out a sound that's a cross between a chirp and a squeak, then uses my outstretched arm as a springboard to my shoulders. He looks at me and does some weird, crinkly thing with his nose.

Even though this second book took a directional turn that I wasn't completely happy with, I'm still sold on the series and look forward to book 3. There's something about Williams' writing that is easy to read, and the mix of action/adventure and sexual chemistry rivals the style of my favorite author Richelle Mead, which means it can't be all bad. Right?
"This lightning" - she holds up her hand, waits for a chaos luster to strike across it - "I bet it makes kissing a fae explosive. By the way, I totally get why you never let me shake Kyol or Aren's hands."

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Shattered Dark.

03/07/2013
20.0% "The world has gone mad...I'm feeling nostalgic and sympathetic toward Kyol - while Aren's still in the room. How???" 3 comments

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Hopelessromantic500 I love Sosch! but seriously, if McKenzie only uses a weapon twice in the first book, both daggers, why is she holding a katana on both covers?

message 2: by Kay (new) - added it

Kay Hahha @ Kimki, not kimchi. I'm glad you cleared that up for those who are confused ;)

VampireNovelFan LOL I will probably read this one closer to when Book 3 comes out. TBR list is just out of control right now.

Stacia (the 2010 club) Yay for me missing old comments (again). I'm guessing the covers are from stock photos, so the weapons choice was limited.

Kay...kimki and kimchi are very close words, after all!

Stacia (the 2010 club) VampireNovelFan wrote: "LOL I will probably read this one closer to when Book 3 comes out. TBR list is just out of control right now."

No doubt. It's sad how many in-progress series I have.

VampireNovelFan Stacia (the hype killer) wrote: "VampireNovelFan wrote: "LOL I will probably read this one closer to when Book 3 comes out. TBR list is just out of control right now."

No doubt. It's sad how many in-progress series I have."

Yeah. It's even worse when it's ongoing stuff so you can't move on until you're all caught up!

message 7: by Bonnie (new) - added it

Bonnie Dang! I almost completely forgot about this one. I need to read this one too. I'm hoping for more Kimki too.

Kayla at MyBookMuse I can't wait for the third! I really enjoy this series :) can't wait to see ur review!!!

Stacia (the 2010 club) Gah. It's Dark Swan all over again.

Bonnie wrote: "Dang! I almost completely forgot about this one. I need to read this one too. I'm hoping for more Kimki too."

Sosch was there!

message 10: by Leea (new)

Leea Ugh... I haven't read the first book yet but just that idea of Dark Swan all over again, gives me hives...

Stacia (the 2010 club) I actually liked Dark Swan other than the one character being changed to the point of pissing me right off.

The comparison only has to do with the guys, not the story itself. The books are pretty good. Aren - be still my heart. This author writes sexual tension like Mead.

message 12: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca Espinoza I can't wait to see your review. You have me intrigued, especially since I have wanted to read the first one in this series for a while.

Kayla at MyBookMuse isn't the end horrible? LOL I was soo pissed that THAT happened....

Kayla at MyBookMuse Stacia, I know you have a zillion books to read but if you liked this you should check out the Arcardia Bell series

message 15: by Michelle (new)

Michelle [Helen Geek] Will be looking forward to your review. Mighty pissed - me thinks!

message 16: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca Espinoza Need to bump these up on the TBR. I'm curious what the wtf moment in this book is.

message 17: by Stacia (the 2010 club) (last edited Mar 08, 2013 10:11PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Stacia (the 2010 club) I'm only pissed over one thing. Granted, it's a MAJOR thing and I'm very pissed that it happened but the book was still a fun read and I love all of these characters.

Rebecca, you should read it! I'm not kidding when I say that the writing is very similar to Richelle Mead. It has all of those moments which make your heart skip a beat.

Kayla at MyBookMuse wrote: "isn't the end horrible? LOL I was soo pissed that THAT happened...."

It's just the (view spoiler)

Also, I'll have to check out Arcadia Bell sometime. I wish I didn't have so many series in-progress, along with promises to try out a few others. It's a never-ending list to have to keep up with!

Stacia (the 2010 club) Whoops, was typing to you when you were posting, but my answer is still that you should read it!

✽ Sharon is an emotional book junkie ✽ wonderful review Stacia...and i agree about the whole fae thing. u made me laugh @ the Aren/Kyol - Dorian/Kiyo thing!

Kayla at MyBookMuse Stacia (the hype killer) wrote: "I'm only pissed over one thing. Granted, it's a MAJOR thing and I'm very pissed that it happened but the book was still a fun read and I love all of these characters.

Rebecca, you should read it!..."

I agree. (view spoiler) But overall I am enjoying this series so far. But I am not looking forward to waiting till 2014 for the final book :/

Stacia (the 2010 club) 2014 is crazy. I'll probably have to re-read books 1 and 2 to refresh before then.

♠ Sharon is an emotional book junkie ♠ wrote: "wonderful review Stacia...and i agree about the whole fae thing. u made me laugh @ the Aren/Kyol - Dorian/Kiyo thing!"

Can you say whiplash?

message 22: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca Espinoza I think I have the first one already, I've got so many books that I've been bouncing back and forth with lately, but I think I'll try and get that one read before our group read next week.

message 23: by Louise (new) - added it

Louise Awww Sosch looks like a cute furball lol:D Wonderful review Stacia!:)

Stacia (the 2010 club) Thank you Louise. :)