Misha's Reviews > The Winter Sea

The Winter Sea by Susanna Kearsley

Jun 14, 2012

I like the historical fiction genre, but do like to know what is true and what is not. With these types of books, sometimes you don't get that luxury of knowing. I appreciated the author including at the end what was fiction and what was not. The book tells the story of the 1708 Jacobite uprising. The story was told within a story, a fictional story of an author who is searching for a way to tell of the Jacobite rebellion and feelings of bringing back the Stewart line to reign in Scotland. Her story then encompasses the non-fictional information which is actually told through a character who is fiction, Sophia, which is within that larger fictional story. Sophia is fictional, but most of the other characters are real and so are the places. Though we don't know the full story of what happened, based on records and accounts, those characters were at those specific places and did those things at specific times. The author then took the liberty to guess what the intentions, the thoughts and motives could possibly have been as she weaved the tale. Both stories within the story, are full of blossoming romance. All clean though! A little cheesy, which is why I didn't rate the book 5 stars, but the book I think was still well done and done creatively.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Winter Sea.