Rosie's Reviews > Between You and Me

Between You and Me by Emma McLaughlin

Jun 15, 12

bookshelves: arc, egalley
Read from June 14 to 15, 2012

Between You and Me focuses on the relationship between Logan and Kelsie Wade, first cousins from Oklahoma. Logan is living in New York City working a dead end job with a dead end boyfriend. Kelsie is one of the biggest pop stars in the world. Her name is as well known as Beyonce and Madonna. Kelsie's current assistant (and another cousin) Delia contacts Logan to come to see Kelsie and visit for the first time in seven years, Logan is on the next flight out of town. Inseparable as children, Kelsie and Logan have an awkward start, made even more awkward by the immediate firing of Delia before Logan leaves LA. Kelsie gives Logan the assistant job and without a second thought, Logan takes it. From here, the plot imitates life and the parallels between what happen to Kelsie and her real-life inspiration, Britney Spears are undeniable.

The book is a fast read, just like the authors' other novels, but it has a much darker edge than The Nanny Diaries. This isn't necessarily a good thing. While I couldn't put it down, I did find some major flaws with it. The timeline isn't everything it should be. I felt like it jumped ahead very quickly. The rebuilding of the relationship between Kelsie and Logan is glossed over as they jump ahead to her international tour where Logan has apparently perfected the art of being assistant to a multi-millionaire popstar in no time flat. Or maybe it took months, I actually don't know, it isn't clear.
(view spoiler)

The book is just ok. I would recommend it for anyone who was addicted to celebrity gossip as I was during the age of the Britney fallout. You'll be able to spot the usual cast of characters from miles away if you are celeb savvy, but it's generic enough to keep the authors out of trouble.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Between You and Me.

06/15/2012 page 288