James Peavler's Reviews > The Long Walk

651974
Jun 14, 12

bookshelves: 2012
Read in April, 2012

I've noticed in recent reviews about this book the comparisons with the Hunger Games. While it takes place in a not so distant future in an America that is much changed from what we know today, and there is a bit of a game show aspect to it, that's where the similarities end. Where the Hunger Games pit teenagers against teenagers in a death match, The Long Walk pits a group of kids to see who can walk the furthest without collapsing or going crazy. Those who fall below the necessary 4 mph speed limit "punch their ticket."

While it is an intriguing concept, I felt as a Stephen King effort, it falls short of the mark a bit. It's hard to make a group of teenage boys just walking through Maine exciting. It was just interesting enough to keep me going until the end, but I felt it needed something more. Have you ever read a book that you felt was missing something key, but you just couldn't quite place your finger on what exactly was missing? This was one of the those books for me. I wanted just a little more explanation on certain things. And I felt Stephen King may have missed the mark a bit on showing how some of the contestants were going crazy. I mean, this is Stephen King after all. Who does crazy better than him?

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Long Walk.