Lex (Fastidious Reader)'s Reviews > Touching Smoke

Touching Smoke by Airicka Phoenix

Jul 13, 12

bookshelves: paranormal, fantasy
Read on July 13, 2012

Now, where to start? Hmmm... Got this from the author herself. Thank you, Airicka for this copy! :)

Touching Smoke, I know that it's a YA book and a Paranormal one. I've read the blurb when I first encountered it but since my memory is not that good I forgot about the blurb. BUT I somehow know that it's not Vampires. Maybe I was expecting Faeries or something. Boy, I was wrong.

Plot: The plot is something I haven't read. I mostly read paranormal stuffs like Vampires and werewolves, faeries, warlocks, magic, etc. This book is about a girl who was genetically engineered by a madman. She was created. BUT then I thought she really is a vampire.(view spoiler) The pace was okay. It's not slow and not fast. Just normal. But still I wish Fallon's mom answered all her questions and explain it to her personally. Even though she wanted to protect Fallon that's why she lie and keeps secret. Honestly, that's kind of irritating. I understand Fallon's feelings about that.

Characters: I don't like Fallon's mom that much. Yes, She's keeping Fallon safe by not telling her anything but seriously that's kind of wrong thinking. What? "what you don't know wouldn't hurt you?" Maybe, but then again, what they have was a life-or-death situation. And I believe Fallon is in the right age to know about herself.

Fallon, hmm... is kind of whiny. Well, okay, I understand where she's coming from but seriously, I just wish she gave an ultimatum or something to her mom so that her she would tell her past. If I'm in her situation, I'm gonna go crazy about not knowing anything. But thankfully, she became, somehow, kick-ass in the latter part of the book.

Isaiah. So freaking mysterious at first. uh... I don't know how to describe him since I'm not really good at that but all I could say is he's superhuman. >_< And he's connected to Fallon, they are 'soulmate' as the book blurb said.

Btw, I keep on remembering Sadie-chan in the anime, One Piece because of Maia. She's like a sadistic bad girl in the book. LOL! And she's always wearing spandex. :D almost like the anime girl. :P

Overall: I liked it, I actually read it in one sitting. If one sitting means the whole day, then Yes. And for me, it's not predictable. I have my own theories while reading it earlier but it doesn't happen. LOL! So good job, Airicka! :) Go and read this book you might be surprised that you'll like it. :)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Touching Smoke.

07/09/2012 page 28
07/12/2012 page 95
30.0% "Fallon's kinda whiney. And if I'm her, first thing I'll ask is "what am I?" Lol."
show 1 hidden update…