Carolyn's Reviews > Wheat Belly: Lose the Wheat, Lose the Weight, and Find Your Path Back to Health

Wheat Belly by William  Davis

F 50x66
Jun 14, 12

Read in February, 2012

This book is potentially a life-changer and should be awarded more than 4 stars, but because it is overly technical and a bit confusing in places, it gets 4 stars.

Suffice it to say that the wheat we eat today is not the wheat that our parents grew up on. It has been genetically modified to be stronger, yield more grain per stalk, and to resist pests, drought and disease. Naturally, this has come at a cost, which is that chemically, today's wheat reacts differently in our bodies than wheat of 50 years ago. Also, when people say, "But people have been eating wheat for thousands of years!" consider that the percentage of wheat in our diets is far greater than it was 1000, 100, even 50 years ago. There is hardly an aisle in the supermarket that does not contain wheat products on the shelves (maybe the cleaning/toiletry aisle), so it is no wonder that we have grown accustomed to eating wheat products for breakfast, lunch, dinner, and often snacks and dessert.

This book is eye-opening in terms of raising awareness of how our wheat-intense diet has lead to the epidemic of obesity, diabetes, and other health concerns in our population, and why it is crucial to reduce (in some cases eliminate) the amount we eat. I highly recommend it.
5 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Wheat Belly.