Sarah's Reviews > Cinder

Jun 14, 12

bookshelves: fairy-tales, science-fiction
Recommended to Sarah by: Katie Flanagan Flanagan
Read from June 12 to 14, 2012

I really liked this book! What a unique take on the classic Cinderella story, and with such a strong lead character! Everyone in the book was so dynamic, and even though I saw one of the major plot twists coming from far off, I loved the way it played out. And I was so sad when I got to the last page and there wasn't any more! Then I frantically searched for a note somewhere in the book saying that there would be another one-thankfully, it's the first of a quartet.

I'll agree with some of the other reviews that some of the background world building was lacking slightly. However, I didn't feel that the lack of background info really detracted from my appreciation of the story at all (which was mostly plot and character driven, my favorites!). And I bet that we'll learn a little bit more about the world in the next books. I did wonder a little bit about how no one could tell that she wasn't really from New Beijing, since she wouldn't really look Chinese, but I just assumed that this happens so far into the future that the predicted melting pot phenomenon had occurred so that there are no longer distinct races of people (well, other than Lunar and Earthen).

As to the distinction between Lunars and Earthens, I thought it was described fairly well. No, the reasons why Lunars moved to the moon were only mentioned once in passing, but I'm not reading an alt history textbook here, I'm reading a re-telling of a fairy tale. And it's a re-telling with a kickass female character who would rather save millions of lives than pursue her own crush--and her crush is willing to do the same thing! It's a rare book with such strong, consciously-motivated characters with so much depth. And what a cool idea to have a cyborg mechanic Cinderella!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Cinder.