Mathieu Chénard's Reviews > Nexus: Ascension

Nexus by Robert Boyczuk

Jul 27, 12

bookshelves: owned, sci-fi, fiction
Read from July 04 to 23, 2012

I want to give this book 4 stars but ultimately I decided that even if some parts of this book I loved, some things bothered me enough to warrant a 3 stars.

The premise is great. A bunch of longhaulers come back to their planet after a 30 year trade mission to find it devastated by a mysterious plague. This setting has the potential to allow for a great mix of sci-fi, post-apocalypse and horror mash-up. And for themost part this is what this book delivers.

The book is well written and the scope of the story is engaging. While the plot evolves and goes from plague survival to secret 500 years spanning mission, all the scenery involved is great and the events are interesting. Where the story falls short is on believable characters. I don't think it's even that the characters are bad or uninteresting but mostly, they don't seem to "work". Their conflicts with each other seemed really stupid to me when survval is at stake, to the point where I didn't feel like their actions made sense. This also gave me the feeling that they were really bland characters with a single defining characeristic. Liis is in love with a guy that doesn't care for her. Sav is a good guy. And fat. Hebuiza is a schemer without a heart. Josua seeks revenge. That's it. You don't feel sympathy for any of them because that's all there is to these characters.

I gotta say though that the resolution to the plotline was satisfying. It somewhat leaves you in the dark about what happens to the characters but the plotline itself is resolved.

All in all I want to love this book because I think the premise is awesome and Robert Boyczuk is a good writer but I could'nt help feeling annoyed by the characters. 3 stars.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Nexus.

07/06/2012 page 54
14.0% "Good start. Characters are somewhat one-dimensionnal but hey it's 54 pages!"
show 2 hidden updates…