Nina's Reviews > Confessions of an Angry Girl

Confessions of an Angry Girl by Louise Rozett

Sep 05, 12

Read in August, 2012

I have to say right away that I am definitely not the target group of Confessions of an Angry Girl. The main character Rose is fourteen and just entering high school as a freshman (oh how I wish the synopsis had said that), making me more than ten years older than her, and I had a lot of trouble relating to Rose’s story because of this. That is not to say that I didn’t like the story, I just think it’s more of a younger YA, and I think younger girls will like it more than I did.

Rose is, as the title suggests, an angry girl. She’s angry about her dad dying in Iraq, about her mother distancing herself, about her brother going away to college, about her friend’s constant talk about wanting to lose her virginity – Rose is angry at the world. Some of this anger was well placed, but at other times I just wanted to yell at her to grow up already, to do something to change her situation instead of just complaining about it. (Like I said, I don’t deal well with fourteen year old girls.)

Rose, as a self-proclaimed word geek, starts off each chapter with a “big word” and it’s explanation, and keeps talking about how she’s got a great vocabulary, but the voice she tells her story in, as well as every single thing she says, sounds like any other teenage girl. I wish she could have shown this vocabulary more through her normal speech too, and not just when she wanted to brag and sound smart.

One of the things Rose deals with is trying to figure out if she wants to lose her virginity, if she wants to go to parties and start drinking. Her best friend Tracy is embracing all of this, wanting to appear older than she is, but Rose is not so sure. I did think the morale was a little obvious, but then again this is something that all high school girls will at some point have to think about, and Rose handled it all very well.

All in all I think Confessions of an Angry Girl was a fun, entertaining story, and it is definitely one I’d recommend to younger teenagers. I for one am just starting to feel old..

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Confessions of an Angry Girl.