Timothy's Reviews > Fables, Vol. 1: Legends in Exile

Fables, Vol. 1 by Bill Willingham

Jun 14, 12

Read on June 14, 2012 — I own a copy, read count: 1

'Fables' is a Vertigo DC series where characters of fairy-tales have fled their world into ours to live a 'mundy' life in modern day New York City. Fables, Vol. 1: Legends in Exile is the first volume of this series that serves both as an introduction to the main characters as well as a self-contained storyarc that concluded by the end of the volume.

Overall, the strong points of this series so far is that it puts a twist to an old and familiar story into something different and yet interesting. Characters that we've known all our lives (Snow White, Big Bad Wolf, Prince Charming) are all broken out of their old archetypes to give them more personality and character.

If a nitpick is to be made, it's the plot of this story. While making the first volume a murder mystery ("Who killed Rose Red") probably made it simpler to have as many characters introduced as possible, it had an unfortunate tendency to drag in several parts of the story. Much of this (in my opinion) had to do with the fact that one wasn't sufficiently invested in the victim nor the suspects enough to feel any sense of suspense.

However, with characters as interesting as these, one believes that there is only room for greater improvement in the later volumes.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Fables, Vol. 1.