Justin's Reviews > Lost Girls

Lost Girls by Ann Kelley

Jul 31, 2012

liked it
Read from July 25 to 31, 2012

I really, really wanted for this book to be good. It was one I had really been looking forward to, but after reading it I feel really let down. The only thing that really stood out to me was Ann's writing, that was by far the most redeeming factor for this book. The story itself just felt so bland, and even boring at times. I loved the idea behind it though, I just wish it had been executed a little better than it was. But as I said, the writing in this book was amazing and was the strong point of the book for sure.

I don't even really know what to discuss when it comes to the story. You have these girls trapped on an island, trying to figure out a way to get off of it. Crazy things happen, people get hurt and some people don't even make it. I enjoy stories like this, it reminds me a lot of other books/movies/shows that share similar scenarios. Although I think it's safe to say that this is one of the first that consists of a group of teenage girls at least from a darker perspective. The story isn't all bland though, it does have it's strong points and there were quite a few moments where I did find myself really enjoying the book. I just feel as though the bland parts did outweigh the enjoyable parts.

The characters were actually pretty great too, I really fond myself enjoying the characters. Having a group of teenagers trapped on an island can get pretty crazy. There were a lot of moments where they would be arguing about how to do things and little things like that. I'm not going to go into a massive amount of detail though, the one thing I really liked was how Bonnie kept her journal and you got to read entries of it throughout the book.. Some of them got pretty gruesome though, I remember one talking about a head being split open... yeah that was a mental picture I would like to forget. When it comes down to it though, the cast of characters were really great and really helped carry this book for me.

The ending was another great part of the book, I was really pleased with the way things ended and Ann did a great job at providing closure for a lot of the events that took place throughout the book. Even though I found myself getting bored, I can't deny that the ending of this book was fantastic and really helped pull the story up.

In the end, I feel like this book does have potential. If it's something you think you'll like then by all means read it. As you can see from my review, it really does have some very good strong points. I don't think it's a book you should stay away from simply because I didn't enjoy it as much as I was hoping I would. If you have read this book though, I would love to hear what you thought about it. I don't really know what I would of liked to have seen changed, I just feel like things could of been played out a little better throughout the story.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Lost Girls.

message 1: by Kathleen (new) - added it

Kathleen Dying to hear how you like this one Justin. The description looks really intriguing.