Amanda's Reviews > Alone

Alone by Lisa Gardner

Jun 23, 12

bookshelves: reviewed
Read from June 14 to 21, 2012 — I own a copy, read count: 1

** spoiler alert ** This is the second book I have read of Gardner's (the first being The Perfect Husband), and I have to say that this one was more engaging! It begins with police officer/sniper Bobby Dodge making a split second decision in a domestic hostage situation, which results in the death of Jimmy Gagnon, a judge's son and husband of Catherine.

I really really liked how Gardner left so much of the book open - especially with the character of Catherine. We are left wondering if Catherine really orchestrated the entire hostage situation to ensure that Jimmy would be killed or whether she was just a loving mother trying to protect her child. Personally, I think she orchestrated the situation, just from the clues that were peppered throughout the novel.

My only issue with the book was Bobby's terrible judgement. I found it really hard to believe that he would contact Catherine when he was still under investigation by the department - that would definitely have looked fishy to the investigators and likely would have ensured a swift end to his career, though it seems to work out for him in the end. I also find it a bit repetitive that both Catherine and Bobby were abused in their childhoods - this was what had happened in The Perfect Husband - and I just find it unnecessary that the main characters all had to have been abused.

This is the first in the D.D. Warren series. Oddly enough, she had a very small part in this book, though I did like her character when she was involved. I'm interested to try the next in the series and see what role she plays!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Alone.