Julie's Reviews > Silver Angel

Silver Angel by Johanna Lindsey

Jun 22, 2012

it was ok
Read from June 14 to 22, 2012

I purchased this book on Ebay in a "lot" of other Historical Romances. I had read two other Johanna Lindsey novels and liked both of them. However, this one sat on my shelf for a good while. I am trying to go all digital, so I'm finally getting some of my older books out to read. I thought Silver Angel would be either a Western or Pirate themed novel that Johanna Lindsey is famous for. I have never read a romance novel about Harems etc. Copyrighted in 1988, I knew this was a popular theme during that time. I really don't know what I feel about this novel. Mostly, I wasn't all that into it. I never really warmed up to Derek. I still think that Chantelle was robbed of her virtue, although she did manage to keep her pride, for the most part. I don't think I would have stayed with Derek no matter was the situation. He just didn't prove himself to me. The theme of this book would give a feminist a stroke. But, I think it should put off any woman. I didn't feel romantic at any time while reading this book and for the most part felt angry. I guess this theme isn't for me. I know harems existed, and women were purchased as slaves, but it's not romantic. However, I did just keep turning those pages. I guess it was morbid curiosity, but I had to know how it all turned out. Of course the ending was supposed to have been a "happily ever after", but I felt Chantelle gave in too easily after everything Derek had done to her. Obviously, not one of my favorite JH novels. That doesn't mean I won't try any of her others. This one just wasn't for me.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Silver Angel.