Nenia Campbell's Reviews > A School for Sorcery

I DON'T--

I CAN'T--

AHHHHHHHHHHH.

COULD NOT FINISH!

a school for sorcery was absolutely terrible. it contains one of the most unlikable female protagonists i've encountered in a long time--and to make matters worse, i can totally tell that we're supposed to like her. that we're supposed to admire her for being so brave and selfless and positive, and all that other good stuff that makes up the genus Maryus sueus.

um, yeah, about that...

**WARNING. REVIEW CONTAINS EXPLETIVES, FULL-ON RANTS, MASSIVE AMOUNTS OF ANGER, GRAPHIC VIOLENCE, AND PONIES. LOTS AND LOTS OF PONIES. PROCEED AT YOUR OWN RISK.

so did i at least manage to get through a majority of the book?

i could only get 1/10 of the way through it because tria was making me want to throw the book against the wall. she's a farm girl with magical abilities. her mother has them, too, though she sacrificed a potentially bright future to marry her husband and settle down as a housewife. she hated it but endured for her daughter's sake. she knows that tria is as miserable as she is--and it turns out that she's been saving up money all this time so she can send tria to hogwarts simonton's school for witchcraft and wizardry the gifted.

if anyone is selfless in this book, it's tria's mother. she hated her life but saved up her money for her daughter instead of ditching her mean husband and ungrateful bitch of a daughter and hightailing it to aruba to drink mimosas and frolic with the natives? that's selflessness.

tria managed to piss me off about thirty times in as many pages. how is that even possible, you ask? oh, well, let me tell YOU, sir or missy. but first, you're going to need some protection.

there. now that we've got you all ponied-up, we can proceed.

{ways that the character pissed me off}

-"i'm so special there's nobody else that i know of with magical powers."
um, yeah, you dumb mary-sue. because you just said it's rare and you live in a small flipping town. it's statistics, not rocket science. or is knowing both magic and mathematics mutually exclusive?

-"i try so hard to hide my suffering but my mother saw it anyway because she's special too."
bs. we both know you were probably gazing off longingly into the sunset and sighing pathetically. i also bet you cry silently, turning so people just catch a glimpse of the tears on your cheeks and when they ask you what's wrong, you say, "nothing," knowing that they'll come after you and persist in cheering you up because you're SO DAMN SPECIAL everyone is fascinated by your emotions.

spare me.

-"my future roommate lives in the rich part of town? ugh. she's probably some horrible snobby bitch skank. this is going to SUCK; i'm sure we're going to have absolutely nothing in common."
hello, my name is irony. i believe you called?

-"the school isn't pretty like the brochure! the food doesn't smell good and i know i'm going to hate it even though i haven't tried it because all things that smell funny taste horrible. that's why french cheese and garlic are absolutely disgusting and perfume is the sh*z. also, my room is grimey. i'm going to cry and mop the floor with my magical tears boo hoo hoo i want to go home."

what is this--i don't even--OH I HATE YOU SO MUCH ALREADY TRIA. YOU DON'T EVEN KNOW.

"sorry, but you must be THIS awesome to enter!"

-"i could take the money and go home. but then my dad would be mad at me for being a coward and a liar and a two-faced b*tch, causing my mother to hold back that money for ME when the whole family could have really used it. and it'll break my mother's heart. oh, i suppose i'll stay for them."
you're such a martyr. let's just skip canonization and make you a saint right now.

you go, princess luna! show those mary-sues who's the real princess around here.

{ways that the plot pissed me off}

i know i can't really fairly assess the plot reading as little into the book as i did, but the foreshadowing gave me a pretty good idea about what was going to happen, and my "bite me" sense started tingling so i decided to put the book down and stop. if you have read the book, however, and know that my predictions are WRONG, please tell me. i'd like to be less peeved by this book. really, i'm being serious. i had being mad at books but sometimes the characters are just too GAH. y'know?

-the maid tells tria, "oh, that creepy boy staring at you menacingly in the hallway? ignore him. he's talented but kind of troubled."
HELLO LOVE INTEREST! FANCY SEEING YOU HERE SO SOON!

-the headmistress tells tria there are seven classes of magic. most people only reach two or three. her school is considered great because many of the students reach four or five. occasionally six. of course miss mary sue asks, "what about seven?" and the headmistress says, "only the most powerful and amazing gifted people reach such a formidable level."
WAIT. WAIT A SECOND. I AM SPECIAL. I AM AMAZING. IT COULD BE ME!!! HELLO FUTURE PLOT REVELATION!

-tria whines about how her future roomie is going to be a rich snob.
HELLO EQUALLY TROUBLED BUT SLIGHTLY LESS ANNOYING FEMALE PROTAGONIST. I BET YOU WORK FOR A RICH LADY BUT ARE ACTUALLY A MAID OR SOMETHING. YOU WILL FIGHT BITTERLY AT FIRST AND PROBABLY CLASH OVER LOVE INTEREST BUT THEN YOU WILL BOND AND OVERCOME YOUR DIFFERENCES. YOU WILL ALSO SNEAK OUT AFTER HOURS AND ENGAGE IN DANGEROUS MAGIC WHICH THE HEADMISTRESS WILL THEN REPRIMAND YOU FOR BUT TOLERATE BECAUSE DESPITE BEING STERN, SHE HARBORS A SECRET FONDNESS FOR BOTH OF YOU.

i read way too many young adult novels...

{what did not piss me off about the book}
i have to say that i liked the headmistress--a lot. she was feisty for an old lady and totally bad-ass. like, she asks tria when she first knew she had magical powers. and tria says something stupid like, "oh, i've always known i was different." and the headmistress says something along the lines of--i kid you not--"oh, so you're so special you can remember life in utero?"

i just about died. LOL. i was thinking the exact same thing. the way tria got mad at her for bursting her bubble was so perfect, too. she was actually entertaining when she was pissed instead of mopey. but then the anger turned into another "everybody hates me but i must endure" spiel.

the cover is also really pretty as well. it kind of reminds me of some of the designs for sabriel, wise child, and a couple of the mercedes lackey books. it's a shame that what's inside the cover is so awful. if i were younger and hadn't read harry potter i might have liked this. as it is, though, it reads like a blatant piece of harry potter fanfiction with a self-insertion mary sue.

tria, i think there's only one thing to say.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A School for Sorcery.

06/15/2012 page 33
10.0% "god. does this b*tch ever stop whining? it's only p. 33 and i already hate her.

allow me to give you something to REALLY cry about!"

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Natalie (new)

Natalie Monroe I can't see the images!?

Nenia Campbell does it say [image]? because if you read it from the news-feed or on my profile it doesn't always show the images. sometimes you have to click the link that takes you directly to the review. :)

Nenia Campbell http://www.goodreads.com/review/show/...

mimics verizon wireless commercial guy's voice:
"can you see me now?"

message 4: by Natalie (new)

Natalie Monroe Yup, thanks! They crack me up XD

message 5: by MLE (new)

MLE Love the use of the ponies of rage. Great review.

Nenia Campbell I just read Iron Daughter and hated it so much that it prompted me to make some new shelves. Just tagging some other rageworthy books with the new labels. ;)

message 7: by kari (new)

kari Love the ponies!

Nenia Campbell Ponies are great! Brony power!