Felicity's Reviews > What Alice Forgot

What Alice Forgot by Liane Moriarty

Jun 14, 12

Read in June, 2012

Liane Moriarty's "What Alice Forgot" is a surprisingly good read. I picked it up, thinking it would be a bit of a fluff, your average chick-lit read. In some really obvious, annoying ways, it is. Nonetheless, I think Moriarty dealt with some serious issues, such as the extraordinary grief experienced by infertile couples and particularly infertile women, with extraordinary sensitivity. The basic plot is pretty simple. Gym-crazy Alice, in the midst of a nasty divorce and custody battle, falls off her spin bike at the local gym, knocks herself out, and loses ten years of her memory. Her oldest child clocks in at about ten years of age, so Alice has no idea about her divorce, nor about the three kids to which she has given birth over the past decade. Accordingly, much of the book is a comedy (as well as a romance) about Alice trying to remember people and remember or relearn how to parent. Needless to say, the twenty-nine year-old Alice (which is how old Alice remembers being) is pretty upset with the woman that the thirty-nine year old Alice has become. I'd recommend this book as a thoroughly enjoyable read. Just don't expect any challenges to the resolution of your typical chick-lit novel.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read What Alice Forgot.