Elizabeth Wallace's Reviews > She's Got the Beat

Jun 26, 09

bookshelves: read-and-reviewed
Recommended to Elizabeth by: sibes11@sbcglobal.net
Read in October, 2008

Wow, so far Simon Romantic Comedies seem to be hit and miss. Guess which one this is? Swing and a ... MISS! When I first saw the description for this, I was pretty excited. I mean, somewhat trashy book with actual rock and drums? That's what I'm talking about. But it turned out to be a drag, because no matter how much your story line is going for you, it is still possible to butcher your stories, just FYI authors.

Miranda, the main character is all ready to go to college and is NOT going to let her boyfriend's marriage proposal get in the way. So she ends up swingin' single, as well as adjusting to not being in a small town and not knowing what to do socially. Luckily, she ends up with a couple of awesome roommates* who tell her to get out there and grab some adventure. Uncharacteristically, Miranda spontaneously signs up for drum lessons. And falls in crush with her instructor.

Predictably, he seems to like her too. And, come on, she's around for a couple weeks and they're together? That's seriously heading for disaster. (not a plot spoiler, this all happens relatively early in the book) Surprise, surprise, she sees him cheating on her, dumps him and searches for a band. Then, as the cover states: "When crashing the cymbals, the girl's a wild child! Plus there's a perk to her new gig: a cute bass player. Unfortunately Mr. Bass Man isn't exactly looking for love. Can this rocker chick change his tune? Or does finding her own rhythm mean sacrificing true love?"

First of all, "Mr. Bass Man" (can you see the sarcasm dripping?) isn't exactly not interested in Miranda. Just because he doesn't kiss her in a couple months doesn't mean that he's given up girls! Plus he doesn't exactly blow her off . . . Second of all, doesn't true love seem like a bit much when included with the words "long-time boyfriend" or "marriage"?

But the cover isn't what made me not like this book! Miranda is a "natural". Do they just talk about naturals so that us less-talented people feel guilty for not finding out special talent? Or is it writer's way of making us lazy? Either way, I don't like how Rand is a really good drummer within a couple lessons without even learning how to read music! And then she's thinking about graduating in music, don't you think she also needs a little hard work, too? Plus she has what seems to be absolutely NO music education. I mean, heloooo, her music references only seem to go as far as DIXIE CHICKS!!!! Ooh, I almost forgot school. School is almost NEVER mentioned, testing seems to be no prob with her. School is not the only thing, there are certain things that were barely mentioned and sort of left me hanging. Nancy Krulik's philosophy on writing seems to be only including details that seem to be like an abridged version of a better story. Also, people may want some details so satisfy them while keeping the philosophy, AKA add details that seem to be forgotten and never referenced to again.

Overall, maybe this deserves a 1 but I'm not that mean because I (vaguely) enjoyed this at times.

*Ah, the roommate theory! Why is it when people write about roommates they seem to be extremely amazing or or they're always whining about them? Maybe it is that way because I've never had one, but I'm a bit suspicious.

P.S. Sorry for the excessive cynicism, I'll just shut up now.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read She's Got the Beat.