Christopher's Reviews > Free Will

Free Will by Sam Harris

Jun 14, 12

Read in June, 2012

Short, to the point, informative, reasonable.
I liked it I will read it again, it provokes thought about things most folks don't think about.

Ok, after reading some of the other reviews I will write more about what I thought. Firstly, I never really believed in free will anyway, so I wasn't profound affected by the thought it's an illusion. I already have another book that I have not finished about the illusion of free will.

Any number of people may think that a lack of what's commonly called free will takes something from us, or frees us from responsibility.

I think what Sam Harris is saying here is that Free will is neither what you think it is, nor is it important. I am not free to be anyone except me, I am not free to choose things I don't know about, I am not free to do things I would never do. How free is that? That is free enough for me to be me. I do not fret that I do not have the "freedom" to be other than I am, my experiences and my reactions to them determine how I behave.

None of us live in the present, we are all just experiencing stuff that's already happened. It takes a small, finite, amount of time for any of the input to our senses to be processed by our brains and presented for conscious consideration.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Free Will.