MandyM's Reviews > About Last Night

About Last Night by Ruthie Knox

Jun 18, 12

bookshelves: contemporary-romance
Read from June 14 to 18, 2012

4.25 stars. Definitely one of the best contemporary romances I've read this year. Cath is a displaced Yank, trying to turn her life around in a new country and forget the tragedies that have dogged her past. She's working as an assistant curator at the Victoria and Albert Museum on a quirky 'history of knitting' exhibit. She's gotten to know all her fellow travellers on the Tube, in particular a clean-cut, stuffy looking suit that she nicknames 'City'. After a bad night out and too much to drink she wakes one morning to find herself in City's bed.

This couple have an ENORMOUS amount of chemistry. The way Nev (City) chases Cath is the best kind of courtship. He is desperately in love with her and he never gives up even when Cath continues to push him away. The sex scenes are very, very hot! I enjoyed their banter which felt quite natural and believable. There are some slight inconsistencies. Nev's certainty with Cath is not evident in his dealings with his rather stereotypically posh and meddlesome family. At times Cath's constant rejection of Nev is hard to take but it's understandable with her background. She has suffered the worst kind of loss imaginable. Great story that made me shed a few tears. I'll be looking for more from this author.

Note: One thinq that surprised me was that the book stopped at 80% on my kindle. I think I've found a publishing company that puts even more advertising at the end of a novel than Samhain!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read About Last Night.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ami (new)

Ami Sounds interesting. I haven't visited M/F contemporary romance for awhile :)

MandyM I know I saw you went off it for a while. I have been really enjoying this genre lately.

message 3: by Becky (new) - added it

Becky Have you read Knox's Ride With Me? I enjoyed that one quite a bit. The heroine was an equal partner and didn't need to be saved all the time. My list of authors I'll read for m/f romance has gotten a lot shorter in the last year or so, but Ruthie Knox is definitely on it.

MandyM I haven't read it yet but I will. Thanks for the rec. I saw this book reviewed on the Dear Author site. I've been lucky to pick up some great new m/f stuff there.