Amitha's Reviews > Rules

F 50x66
Oct 08, 2008

bookshelves: best-kids-books-read-2009, autism-kidlit
Read in March, 2009

I wasn't sure I would like this book at first because it is an "issues" book. I thought it would be about a girl who learns to accept her brother's disabilities, and while this is true, it was more a learning-to-fit-in-and-be-comfortable-with-yourself book. I'm still making it sound cheesy, but it really wasn't. Rather, it was hilarious and well-written. The main character, a twelve-year-old girl named Catherine, is highly relatable, and draws you in from the first chapter by telling you all about her "rules" for behavior that she has written for her autistic brother (which range from practical to laugh-out-loud funny). I couldn't help but love her for doing this for him.

My only problem with the book was that I felt like the main character wasn't consistent; it felt like she went from being 12 to being 15 halfway through the book. She initially seems cute and tomboyish, but then all of a sudden begins to show so much maturity and becomes so precise and erudite in her word choices and in her ability to self-analyze that at times I felt very conscious of the author's own voice shining through the narrator's. Such is the problem with first person, I guess.

All in all this was an excellent book and I would highly recommend it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Rules.

message 1: by Krista the Krazy Kataloguer (last edited Mar 18, 2009 11:33AM) (new) - added it

Krista the Krazy Kataloguer I haven't read this one because it didn't sound like anything I'd be interested in. However, I recently discovered that this book also won the Schneider Family Book Award for a middle school book depicting someone with a disability. And now your review has sealed it. Guess I'd better read it!