Nancy's Reviews > Wallflower in Bloom

Wallflower in Bloom by Claire Cook

Jun 14, 12

Read in June, 2012

Why have I not read Claire Cook's books before? Why is she not be best friend?

The protagonist, Deirdre Griffin, has third child syndrome. She has a golden child oldest brother, a perfect and outgoing older sister, and the adorable little sister referred to and called throughout the book "Joanie Baloney." If a caboose child had been added to this family, I might have related a little bit better. Still, she has the third child syndrome down pat. She's overlooked, feelings get hurt, feels overshadowed by not only her rock star type brother but the other sibs, too. With a small breakdown, she makes a rash decision and finds herself Dancing With the Stars!

One complaint about the story - Deirdre does a dance turn in the hotel. Because she is allowing her inner dancer to shine! Cook ignored Murphy's law. When MY FRIEND was singing Michael Jackson's "Thriller" and dancing a groovy move, she did it while waiting for the elevator which opened when her back was turned. This resulted in MY FRIEND turning during a groovy move, seeing the shocked faces in the elevator, and moonwalking out of their eye sight. Nobody saw Deirdre pirouette. That's just sad.

Why I loved the book was the quirky but relatable family members, the relationships, the protagonist who is an epic third child, and the humor. I loved to read this one! I can't wait for the next Cook book!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Wallflower in Bloom.