Noelyn Marie's Reviews > The American Heiress

The American Heiress by Daisy Goodwin

Jan 12, 14

Read in December, 2011

********SPOILERS********

I wasn't terribly impressed by this book. I read it because I was on a historical romance kick, but ended up just being disappointed at having spent $10 on a book that was worth much less.

The story itself was pretty interesting and had a lot of potential. An American girl, Cora, falls off her horse while in Europe and is rescued by a Duke, Ivo, who she eventually marries, despite being in love with her best friend, giving her the title of Duchess of Wareham. She has to adjust to the vast differences between American life and European life, and finds it hard to fit in with the friends and relatives of Ivo.

Had the characters been developed more, I think I would've definitely given it 4 or 5 stars, but unfortunately, they all came across as pretty flat. There was very little in the way of description, and everyone just came across as blah. I didn't love or hate any of them, I just got kind of annoyed by some of the events that occurred. The most annoying being Cora's immediate acceptance of Ivo's explanation and apology when she suspects him of infidelity. When she discovers a past affair of his, she has reason to believe he is still with the same woman, who has also befriended her. She eventually decides to leave Ivo and her new life behind because she is so unhappy and run away with the boy she was in love with before she met Ivo. But when she confronts Ivo, he denies being unfaithful and gives her perfect explanations for everything, which she believes, and decides to continue on with him. I'm not saying he was lying, just that she brushed off all of her suspicions pretty quickly with some very convenient reasoning on his part.

I honestly wouldn't recommend this book unless it drops down significantly in price. There are much better books out there in this genre that go for less, so in my opinion, this one just isn't worth it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The American Heiress.