Raewyn's Reviews > The Prince of Soul and The Lighthouse

The Prince of Soul and The Lighthouse by Fredrik Brouneus

4720906
Jun 14, 12

Read on June 14, 2012

Fredrik Brouneus writes with humour but the devices he uses wear out halfway through the book. The footnotes were quirky at the beginning but I found I couldn't be bothered with them after a while (eg footnote 38 at 'of penguins' refers to: soft, ceramic, odd, glass, funny, cute, expensive.') They were a novelty in expanding on the thoughts of a teenage boy while he acted cool in front of the 'beautiful, friendly, and intelligent Finnish exchange student' but overused.
The Tibetan Monk, Tenzin, was a fun character with his "very good. Awesome, high five." It was the opening scene of three monks embroiled in the philosophies of discomfort that drew me to this book - after the cover, of course. I now have an answer to 'are we there yet?'.
I enjoyed the setting especially since I was travelling part of the route, from Dunedin to Kaka Point, as I was reading the book. A weird co-incidence that mirrored the nature of the book nicely however the zombie grandad and the overt acceptance of everything presented to the characters gave me travel sickness as I journeyed through the novel.

I will try another novel from Fredrik Brouneus in the hope that he matures as a young adult author.

It was almost a good book.

ps Awesome high five, Fredrik, on the accordian player! He will get an extra coin from me because of you. :)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Prince of Soul and The Lighthouse.