Linda Nichols's Reviews > Goodbye to a River

Goodbye to a River by John Graves

Jun 14, 2012

Read from June 14 to 16, 2012

Where do I start? The author grew up in Fort Worth, as did I, and knew this stretch of the Brazos, as did I, though his knowledge is much more intimate; I never, in my memory, set foot in the river. My paternal grandparents and a couple of my father's siblings lived in Granbury, as do some of my cousins still. My maternal grandmother was born in Dennis, a bit upstream from Granbury. I've lived at both ends of the Brazos, and for a quarter of a century on a tributary to the Brazos, not far from Granbury. Mr. Graves's narrative of his three-week canoe trip down the river from Possum Kingdom dam to Barnard's Trading Post, with his 6-month-old dachshund as company, is filled with river lore and frontier stories, as well as with the people who lived there when he made his trip, before the De Cordova Bend Dam was built to impound Lake Granbury. (The plans to build dams on the river was his rationale for the trip, his means of saying goodbye to the river he knew as a boy.) The book speaks to me, deep in my core, and I thoroughly enjoyed reading it. I just don't know why it took me so long to pick it up.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Goodbye to a River.

08/23/2016 marked as: read