Amodini's Reviews > Imperfect Bliss

Imperfect Bliss by Susan Fales-Hill

Jul 12, 12

Read in July, 2012

I’m a Jane Austen fan and Pride and Prejudice is one my of all time favorites. However the resemblance to Pride and Prejudice seemed superficial; while the Harcourts are in number and gender similar to the Bennett family, and Forsythia with all her prim-and-properness , might be a direct descendant of Mrs. Bennett, Bliss was not what I’d expected out of a Lizzie-like heroine. For all her talk on feminism, women’s issues and empowerment, Bliss seemed way too focused on counting the days of her celibacy, and having wet dreams about her ex-husband . She seemed confused about her romantic decisions and could not break her attachment to her ex, although he seems a cad.

Because the story hinges on a reality television show I expected some description of what passes for television these days, but the book went into it further than that. The shooting of “The Virgin” takes centre stage with Bliss either a spectator, nodding in disbelief at the lengths her mother and sister will stoop too or joining them as they visit foreign countries. The story-line then got repetitious with one shoot following the other. On the plus side, I did like the cover – thought it very well-done. Also, it is interesting that the author brings in issues of race; Forsythia is from Jamaica and married to a Caucasian British professor. Thus the daughters are mulatto. Bliss’s research topic is about the treatment of slave children, specificall y those that Thomas Jefferson has with his slave vs. those of a French planter’s.

The writing goes into great detail with descriptions, which is nice, but is also rife with pop-culture references, and could have used some editing. I had expected a fun-filled romp of a book, with the premise, but given that I couldn’t root for Bliss herself, this book didn’t quite work for me. This is a standard romantic storyline where the heroine must find a mate; here she also has three suitors to choose from – each more handsome than the next. It is pure chick-lit, where the heroine’s ideal man is not only sensitive and caring but has the physique of a body-builder, so this might fit the bill if a quick, easy beach read is what you are looking for.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Imperfect Bliss.