Becky's Reviews > Eclipse

Eclipse by Stephenie Meyer

Jul 12, 09

bookshelves: young-adult, fantasy, romance, vampires, 2009, reviewed
Read in July, 2009

Alright, I admit it. I'm hooked. Yeah, I'm surprised too, because I said that I was going to keep my "Reserving Judgement" hat on. But, oddly enough, in the 6 days that I was forced to wait for Eclipse, I couldn't stop thinking about the story. Try as I might, it lodged itself in my head and just stood there, daring me to try to read something else, even something as exciting as I usually find Grisham. (Sorry, Grisham.)

Those 6 days also convinced me that as many issues as I had with the first two books, I invested more than I thought in it, and rated it a bit low. Anything that sticks in my mind like this, even if it is "trash" as some see it, deserves at least 4 stars. So, I'll be upping the ratings on the first two books.

And now, let's move on, shall we? Again, I'm not going to go into plot here. I will say that the emotional experience that Bella went through in New Moon was hard to witness, but her confusion in Eclipse was worse in a way. My poor guts were in knots waiting to see what would happen, and I don't mean whether Bella or Edward or Jacob or the others are going to live or die. I mean I wanted to know who was going to be happy together when the end came, if come it did.

I have discovered that I am (again, to my own surprise) FIRMLY Team Edward. Go figure. All I've done was rag on him about how controlling he is, and yet here I am, wanting Bella to make the "right" choice between him and Jacob and stay with Edward. But, in my defense, (and Edward's too) Edward has radically changed his relationship outlook. He's now all for Bella having exactly who and what she wants if it makes her happy, even if it is not him. That's cool with me, even if it is cliche.

But, even if I was not convinced that Edward loves Bella with every fiber of his being, I doubt I could be Team Jacob after reading Eclipse. I was so disappointed in him. For being as young as he is, he is one manipulative S.O.B., and I was shocked at his behavior. I don't know if it was caused by his newfound werewolf attitude, but the Jacob that I rather liked in New Moon was nowhere to be found here. I did pity him in a way, but pity is not enough to cut it with me, even if it is with Bella.

Anyway... I really did enjoy this book, and the series so far. I'm almost scared to see where the last book takes us, but I'll be brave and read it anyway.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Eclipse.

07/10/2009 page 1
show 5 hidden updates…

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Jackie I seriously thought you were going to trash these books so I'm kind of getting a kick from reading your reviews and learning how much you're enjoying them. I warned you it's like reading crack. I can't put my finger on what kept me reading them but I really couldn't help myself. That part you wrote about the story getting into your head is exactly how I felt.

Kandice Breaking Dawn is very, very different from the first three, so I can't wait for your review. Regardless of the contrived feeling of the story, you'll still find it compelling, because these are the characters we've all fallen in love with. (against our better judgement in some cases!)

Shannon (Giraffe Days) Your review had me grinning :D

Heather I doubt I could be Team Jacob after reading Eclipse. I was so disappointed in him. For being as young as he is, he is one manipulative S.O.B., and I was shocked at his behavior. I don't know if it was caused by his newfound werewolf attitude, but the Jacob that I rather liked in New Moon was nowhere to be found here. I did pity him in a way, but pity is not enough to cut it with me,

Amen, sister! I felt the exact same way about him in this one.

JG (The Introverted Reader) Late to the discussion, but I thought they were ALL manipulative in this book, Edward was just smoother about it. But that's just me. :-)

Liz (Consumed by Books) I have to say that I agree with a lot of this review, especially about being Team Edward and finding Jacob to be really manipulative here!

message 7: by [deleted user] (new)

It is like you took the words right out of my mouth. I really did not like the first two books but, as much as I did not like them, I was aching to know how the story ended. I think my distaste for the first two books has more to do with the writing and not the story itself. The first two books felt amateur to me whereas Eclipse feels like the series has finally grown out of the awkward freshmen/sophomore slump.

Although, story aside, I still think the Bella/Edward relationship is creepy on a whole multitude of levels.