Jessica's Reviews > Spark

Spark by Amy Kathleen Ryan

Jun 14, 2012

bookshelves: arcs
Read in June, 2012

Now, I can only tell you how wonderful it was to read Glow and Spark back to back, because now I'm going to have to wait desperately for the third installment to figure out what is going to happen to Waverly and these characters that I have grown to love. Oh, so I guess that I gave away that Spark ends on somewhat of a cliffhanger--with some people in a somewhat precarious position.

Overall, if you were somewhat iffy about Glow, then Spark is definitely a must-read. Not only does Ryan manage to step up her writing, but the plot becomes even more complex and the characters even more realistic and lovable (well, some of them).

Waverly has been through a lot since her time on the New Horizon, and she struggles to regain what little bit of herself she still has and stay away from Kieran's Ann Mather-ish behavior. Their disagreements about the use of religion and "services" make for a very interesting social question that we can apply to the growing turmoil surrounding religion now. I mean there is always going to be the question of "separation of church and state," right? This comes into play MUCH more in Spark.

While it seems that the synopsis sets up the relationship between Kieran, Waverly, and Seth to be a love triangle (which is what everyone expects in YA novels now) but it isn't. In fact, the relationship between Kieran and Seth, and Kieran and Waverly becomes so strained, that the only interactions that occur between them are very tense and involve a lot of disagreements.

My problem with Glow was the pacing, but Spark had no pacing issues.

I'm not going to say much more, but there is a SERIOUS twist at the end that I was not expecting. Go pick up a copy of Spark on July 17...Then let me know what you think!

4.5 Stars!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Spark.

06/28/2012 page 105