LJ's Reviews > Caravaggio's Angel

Caravaggio's Angel by Ruth Brandon

Oct 08, 08

bookshelves: amateur_sleuth, contemporary_post_1945, england, art_expert, france, female_author, mystery
Read in September, 2008

CARAVAGGIO’S ANGEL (Ama. Sleuth-Dr. Reggie Lee-England/France- Cont) - Okay
Brandon, Ruth – 1st in series
Soho/Constable, 2008, US Hardcover – ISBN: 9781569475195

First Sentence: It wasn’t even my school fête.

National Gallery curator Dr. Reggie Lee is working on putting together a small exhibit of the three Caravaggio paintings “St. Cecilia and the Angel.” Although the Getty has agreed to lend their copy, the Louvre is now stalling and she cannot reach her contact there. While in France, she unexpectedly comes across the third painting. The owner grants permission for it to be shown but her son, a French Interior Minister, refuses.

Two sudden deaths and the appearance of a fourth copy of the painting make Reggie even more determined to uncover the truth both of the painting and of the deaths.

This book really is for the art lover. I appreciate art, but not enough to be entranced by this story. The mystery really is about the paintings and their history.

The characters, other than Juliette, the elderly lady, never came to life and I am so tired of characters, both male and female, being sexually attracted to each person they meet.

Sense of place was there, but so much more could have been done to make it real. The murder mystery is rather weak. The resolution was given but while the outcome for the person responsible was speculated, it was not actually realized.

For me, this was only an okay read and it’s unlikely I’ll read the next in the series.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Caravaggio's Angel.