Tatiana's Reviews > Throne of Glass

Throne of Glass by Sarah J. Maas

Jun 14, 12

bookshelves: abandoned, ya, fantasy, romancelandia, why-the-hype
Read on May 14, 2012

Just like everything else - fantasy romance lite a la Poison Study (similar plot) and Grave Mercy (same level of superficiality).

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Throne of Glass.

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

Awww, man. I wrote a whole review but this pretty much sums it up in one line.

message 2: by Fontaine (new) - added it

Fontaine Interested to know more about what you thought. At which point did you stop? How was the world building and plot aside from the romance?

message 3: by Tatiana (new) - added it

Tatiana I didn't read much of it. It was written in a simple, juvenile fashion that I don't personally appreciate. But the style is understandable considering that the novel was written by the author when she was 16 or so.

oliviasbooks I loved Poison Study, but I hated Grave Mercy ... Hmmm.

message 5: by Tatiana (new) - added it

Tatiana oliviasbooks wrote: "I loved Poison Study, but I hated Grave Mercy ... Hmmm."

I also liked PS, this was similar plot-wise, not quality-wise. The opening scene was practically the same.

message 6: by oliviasbooks (last edited Jun 27, 2012 05:08AM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

oliviasbooks And ...the love story thingy in PS starts very late. Maybe I should cancel my preorder.I had been lured in by comparisons to Pierce and Cashore.

Plus, I really hate love triangles.

oliviasbooks Is it maybe like that horrible Blood Song book everybody but me adored?

message 8: by Tatiana (new) - added it

Tatiana IDK, many people loved it. I found it to be very, very superficial. There are some novella-size prequels available on Amazon right now for 99 cents. Maybe try one of those first?

Janina I really hope it's not a second Grave Mercy. I got a copy from Netgalley, and am somehow very excited for it. Olivia, I think I'll start it tomorrow evening, and try to report soon ;).

oliviasbooks Oh, please do, Janina. I preordered it, but worse, I gave Teccc a pre-order voucher for it for his birthday and I really hopeed that it's worth reading. But maybe I could find a replacement in time.

Jason Did you read the novellas? I quite liked them for the most part, and if Maas wrote them after the book itself I wonder if they're actually better written. The novellas were much better than Grave Mercy to me. Though a weak point was the True Love in them, so not excited about reading of a triangle.

Amelia, the pragmatic idealist Agreed, Tatiana! Though I bitched about the overall story, I agree 100% that it's just a superficial story. "Tough girl" and love triangle in a very lite fantasy.

message 13: by [deleted user] (new)

Jason wrote: "Did you read the novellas? I quite liked them for the most part, and if Maas wrote them after the book itself I wonder if they're actually better written. The novellas were much better than Grave M..."

The novellas were written after the novel was written.

message 14: by Alicia (new) - added it

Alicia Well, I didn't like Poison Study, but I'm going to give this one a shot. Wish me luck!

message 15: by Tatiana (new) - added it

Tatiana Good luck!:)

Lynn ಠ_ಠ Ooh I like the description 'fantasy romance lite'. I should have a shelf titled that. :D

message 17: by Alicia (new) - added it

Alicia Finished it. Meh. And I agree with your assessment. :-/

message 18: by AudryT (new)

AudryT Oliviasbooks: Anyone who compares a premise or writing like this to Cashore is skimming, not reading, the books they pick up.

Aerin Double meh. And "like" to AudryT.

Aerin What do we think about the fact that the cover illustration looks EXACTLY like the author herself?

message 21: by Tatiana (new) - added it

Tatiana Aerin wrote: "What do we think about the fact that the cover illustration looks EXACTLY like the author herself?"

I noticed that too! Very strange...

message 22: by [deleted user] (new)

See now, I LOVED Throne Of Glass (though admittedly a lot of my love comes from book 2). I tried Grave Mercy, really tried to read it and... oh hell no. Hated it.

Haven't tried PS but sounds like I'll have to give it a shot.