LJ's Reviews > Heart of the World

Heart of the World by Linda Barnes

Oct 08, 08

bookshelves: boston, contemporary_post_1945, female_author, mystery, private_investigator, south_america
Read in September, 2008

HEART OF THE WORLD (Priv. Inv-Carlotta Carlyle-Boston/Miami/Columbia, SA-Cont) – G
Barnes, Linda – 11th in series
St. Martin’s Minotaur, 2006, US Hardcover – ISBN:0312332874

First Sentence: The small man wore white from the tip of his pointed hat to the rolled-up cuffs of his baggy trousers.

Boston PI Carlotta Carlysle has reunited with her on-again, off-again lover San Gianelli, much to the disapproval of her friend and former boss, Detective Captain Joseph Mooney. Sam has been drawn back deeper into the mafia and is more secretive than ever.

Carlotta’s ‘little sister’, Paolina, is now a teenager, has been receiving money and a gift from her Columbian drug-lord father who was thought to be dead. Paolina has disappeared, rather by running away or being kidnapped and Carlotta is determined to find her and bring her back.

I’m beginning to have the same problem with Carlotta as I have with Sue Grafton’s character of Kinsey Millhone; neither character seems to really grow. With Carlotta, you know time has passed as she now has a cell phone and Paolina, of whom I am more than tired, is not a teen, but Carlotta really hasn’t changed much and is still dealing with the same relationship issues.

The best part of the story was the information on Columbia and its history and the sense of place she creates. The pace of the story picks up toward the end and there is some good suspense. However, I felt the climax was projected and obvious and the end is a segue to the next book. It’s an invitation I’m not certain I’ll accept.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Heart of the World.

message 1: by John (new)

John I skipped this one, and have just started the following (latest) one. I've long thought Paolina, and her mother, take advantage of Carlotta's neediness as much as they can.

message 2: by LJ (new) - rated it 3 stars

LJ I still have the newest one on my shelf and don't know whether I'll buy the next. I really enjoyed the early books in this series. However, since I'm not a parent, and never had any raging desire to be on, the whole "little sister" thing doesn't do much for me. Particularly when you are involving drugs and Columbian drug lords.

I was always very sorry she didn't continue with her Michael Spraggue series. I loved those. I had lived in Boston 1970-75 and, which I certainly wasn't one of them, chanced to become acquainted with some of the Boston old money set.