Wealhtheow's Reviews > Throne of the Crescent Moon

Throne of the Crescent Moon by Saladin Ahmed

Jun 15, 12

bookshelves: fantasy, pocmaincharacters
Read from June 14 to 15, 2012

Doctor Adoulla Makhslood is the last ghul hunter in Dhamsawaat. Constantly battling mystical monsters for little material award, his only assistant is the pious dervish Raseed bas Raseed. Although Adoulla is magically powerful and Raseed is prodigiously quick and strong, they nearly die fighting an unusually large group of ghuls. Luckily, a lion shifter enters the fray and saves their lives. The lion-girl Zamia (a Badawi whose entire clan was killed by ghuls) and Raseed find themselves drawn to each other despite their vows to dedicate themselves to fighting evil. All their skills are not enough, however, and so alkhemist Lady Litaz and her magician husband Dawoud are called in to help. And complicating matters is the Falcon Prince, Pharaad Az Hammaz, who steals from the rich to give to the poor and who may prove to be any ally or a deadly enemy.

It's all written in a very clunky, amauterish style. Despite the demons and thief-kings and unresolved sexual tension, I was so bored I almost couldn't get through it. Ahmed's short stories are wonderful; I'm not sure why he wrote a book so charmless.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Throne of the Crescent Moon.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Anne (new)

Anne Oh no! This one looked good! Review forthcoming?

Wealhtheow It might be worth trying for yourself? Certainly there's very little fantasy written in medieval faux-Middle East, so at the very least it's filling a gap in the literature.

Ungelic_is_us Ooof. I still want to give this one a try, but some authors really are at their best with the short and sweet.