Clarissa Draper's Reviews > Anne of the Island

Anne of the Island by L.M. Montgomery

Jun 14, 12

bookshelves: lm-montgomery, the-classics-club
Read in June, 2012

This is my favourite Anne book so far. I loved fact that Anne was growing into a strong woman. She's trying to understand what she wants, what she REALLY wants.

One one thing ate at me, the constant switch in POV. It would flip from one character's head to another. I understand that LM Montgomery was trying to help us understand what each character was feeling at the moment but I would have to say that by action alone, the point is clear.

There was a scene in the book with Ruby that made me feel really sad. I won't discuss it here so as to avoid spoilers. The conversation between Ruby and Anne was very thought provoking and made Montgomery rise above other authors because of it.

The conclusion between Gilbert and Anne is also very satisfying. And really, the relationship between them is one of the main reasons we read the book, isn't it? Has anyone noticed how close the scenes between Gilbert and Anne match those of Jane Austen's Elizabeth and Mr. Darcy?

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Anne of the Island.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

I have the whole series of Anne books sitting on my shelf and must confess to never having read them. But your review has convinced me to give them a try.