Katherine's Reviews > No One is Here Except All of Us

No One is Here Except All of Us by Ramona Ausubel

Jun 14, 12

bookshelves: abandoned-with-extreme-force
Read in June, 2012

** spoiler alert ** Oh. My. God. I am impressed with anyone who could get through this thing. I made it to page 73 before I was so completely squicked out by the narrator's situation that I couldn't stand it any more. I don't care what kind of new creation everyone thought they were making... in what new creation could it possibly be okay to place your daughter into the hands of an obviously mentally ill woman? I had been muttering "Ew. Eeeew. Oh God, EEEEEEWWW..." for several pages, but at the nursing scene? I slammed the book shut and declared that I was done.

I'm all about the suspension of disbelief, but it had better be supported by some decent writing. In this book, the reader is subjected to sentences like "I said that I hoped there was a little room left for myself, just a small cave somewhere between the imprinted feel of walking across wet grass and the precise tension of an apple giving way under a knife." We have an author who can find some vivid images in a few words, but has no earthly idea of how to string them together in a coherent fashion.

7 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read No One is Here Except All of Us.

Gabby I agree completely! I liked her writing style but as a book it just didn't work.

Jenny I agree completely, even though you got further than me. I'm so annoyed I bought this.
J

Christina I actually really almost loved this book, but there were some plot points that were totally squicky. I loved the way she wrote, but I ended up so bothered by this poor girl's life. I guess I'm just too old for books that lay bare the horrifying parts of the human experience! If the nursing scene was bad... Just be glad you didn't read the rest.

SPOILER.....

All I have to say is... Baby puppet.