Lisa's Reviews > Billy Lynn's Long Halftime Walk

10219018
Jun 14, 2012

bookshelves: favorites, fiction
Read in June, 2012

I finished reading Billy Lynn’s Long Halftime Walk by Ben Fountain a couple weeks ago. I loved it, although there is a sadness throughout the book because the men are getting only this small break before they have to return to Iraq the day after being honored at a Dallas Cowboys game. You like all the guys in the Bravo Squad, but of course you love Billy Lynn, who is the heart and soul of the book. He’s the one who captured America’s interest the most since the battle that had been caught on tape and released to the media. Details from the battle are scattered throughout the book, but they are out of order and sometimes repetitive. That works here because it shows how Billy is handling what he was only recently involved in. Plus, the focus of the story is Billy’s day at the game, so that’s what gets the most attention. I almost didn’t want the book to end because then that would mean the game was over and they had to go back!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Billy Lynn's Long Halftime Walk.