Elle's Reviews > The Last Olympian

The Last Olympian by Rick Riordan

Jun 17, 12

bookshelves: 2012
Read in June, 2012

What an amazing way to end this series! This book was absolutely jam packed full of action! I figured we'd get more of a build up but it went straight into the battle pretty early on and it didn't stop from there.

One thing I find odd about me liking this book so much is that there is a lot of flashback scenes (Percys dreams & the Gods showing him stuff) and it didn't bother me one bit. I normally really, really hate flashbacks but it is a testament to Riordan's writing that I really loved this book anyway. Every scene felt it had a purpose.

I was so glad that so many great characters played a part in the final battle. Clarisse has never truly been a likeable character but in this book she was downright HBIC.

There were also so many twists. A lot of them I really did not see coming. Even though we had a lot of clues, they were cryptic and open to a lot of interpretation. I did manage to guess a few but in the end it didn't really matter because the ending was so well tied together that it felt like no matter how hard you tried, you could of never thought of it yourself so perfectly.

If I was less fangirly about this entire series I could have two complaints about this book. It felt like it tried too hard to be funny at the start (but it soon evened out). There where so many random one liners, that fair enough to Rick Riordan made me laugh out loud, but they weren't really needed.

Secondly, everyone turned out to be redeemed or forgiven in some way and not everyone deserved that. In a way it made sense, after all these are just kids. But some of them where just downright evil and others complete brats that didn't deserve to be redeemed or forgiven at all.

The ending was sweet and left a lot open so Riordan could write a lot more!

And can we please appreciate how awesome Nico is. I had to stop myself at certain points because no way should a person my age be thinking that Riordan's description of Nico was attractive!

Favourite quotes:

If you’re heading downtown from Central Park, my advice is to take the subway. Flying pigs are faster, but way more dangerous.

&

I kept climbing – past another telkhine who was so startled he dropped his Li’l Demons lunchbox. I left him alive – partly because his lunchbox was cool, partly so he could raise the alarm and hopefully get his friends to follow me rather than head towards the engine
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Last Olympian.