Sarah Rice's Reviews > Christianity After Religion: The End of Church and the Birth of a New Spiritual Awakening

Christianity After Religion by Diana Butler Bass

Jul 06, 12

bookshelves: spirituality, nonfiction
Read from June 14 to July 05, 2012

It took me awhile to read this book because 1. there's a lot to digest and 2. I got a lot on my plate right now. I checked this book out because the author is speaking in DC later this month and I wanted to get more out the talk. This book is a good blend of sociology, history, and theology. It offers a good look into the current climate of christian religion, faith, and spirituality in the United States. It summarizes the Great Awakening(s) nicely and puts them into a nice historical and theological context.

I would give the first 2/3 of the book 3 or 4 stars and the last 1/3 (particularly the second to last chapter) 4 or 5 stars. Overall, I found this book very hopeful (my parents, however, would probably shit themselves and pray for my eternal soul).

This book really echoes what I think is the main arc of christianity/jesus/the bible - love, compassion, equality, justice. In other words (to me, and others i'm sure), it is incongruous when people claiming christianity value doctrine over relationship, or love. and by relationship i mean with other humans.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Christianity After Religion.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Annie Good to know! I think I'll suggest it for one of my book clubs. We've been wanting to read more women authors.

Sarah Rice yeah! maybe i can skype in for the discussion!

Annie That would be awesome! :) You'd like this book club - we've been meeting for about 5 years each week to discuss books about the new church. It's been interesting to watch the evolution of thoughts on this topic.