Kate (VerbVixen)'s Reviews > When You Were Mine

When You Were Mine by Rebecca Serle

Jun 14, 12

Shut the front door! We all know I'm a Shakespeare junkie, but you probably didn't know that Romeo and Juliet was the first play I ever read (I was in 7th grade). I loved it from the very first words and I still have the prologue memorized. But as I aged and grew out of my romantic naivete my reading of Romeo and Juliet changed. Those starcrossed lovers are BATSHIT CRAY YO. That coupled with the complete and utter idiocy of the adults give us the real tragedy that is Romeo and Juliet. So when I heard about When You Were Mine, I knew it was going to be right up my alley. Rebecca got everything right making Romeo and Juliet a contemporary- from setting, to scenarios, down to every single emotion. By placing it in Roseline's point of view we get to see "the lovers" in all their flaws and missteps. Even better Rosaline's story is the far more interesting one---about heartbreak, guilt, choice, and forgiveness. This story made me cry not once, but twice which is practically an impossible feat. This is a MUST READ this summer for the beach, the pool or the commute to the office.

Sleep Sweet,

V.V.

Overall: A+
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read When You Were Mine.