Joanne's Reviews > The Secret Life of Objects

The Secret Life of Objects by Dawn Raffel

Jul 21, 12

bookshelves: memoir-life
Read in July, 2012

This is a charming little book and one like I have thought of writing myself, especially since the deaths of my parents. Many objects in our homes have sentimental stories attached to them; some sad stories, some happy, some regretful. Dawn Raffel weaves an illuminating little story about a number of objects in her home; a mug, a jewelry box, a prayer book, her father's hat, among others. Some of the stories are only a short paragraph in length, but all of them draw the reader in and make you think not only of her sentimental objects and their personal histories, but of your own. I found myself thinking of, among other things, a beautiful blue Murano glass vase I bought in Venice, Italy and gave to my mother many years ago which, since her death last year, now sits on top of a book shelf in my home where I can see it every day. I don't think I have ever read a book quite like this one and it was a joy to realize how interesting and emotional it can be to remember the stories connected to the treasures of our lives. This is a wonderful little book.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Secret Life of Objects.