Andrea Morris 's Reviews > When Work Disappears: The World of the New Urban Poor

When Work Disappears by William Julius Wilson

Feb 10, 10

Although this book was an assigned read, it counts because 1) I read it and 2) I thoroughly enjoyed it. In this book, Wilson describes the cyclical nature of poverty and crime, focusing specifically on inner-city blacks. Wilson's argument is an interesting one: that the effects of globalization has had a decentralizing effect on manufacturing jobs, leaving low-skilled laborers jobless; however, at the same time, resources, such as education, are not provided to push low-skilled laborers into the high-skilled labor workforce. Inner-city areas seems to lack the means to push low-skilled laborers to educational resources in order to develop a higher-level of skills. It's easy to say, "go to college," but when you literally don't have transportation means to get there, it becomes another story. Wilson tends to open one's eyes abotu the lack of public accommodations, such as daycare or transportation, in inner-cities - whether one agrees or not with his argument, its an interesting read and introduced me to a lot about inner-cities. (And this whole time I thought San Antonio west side was ghetto - how naive!)
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read When Work Disappears.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Levin (new)

Levin Ahmad Can you please send me an e-copy of the book? (my mail: levin_ahmed@yahoo.com)