Paul Williams's Reviews > The Magician's Nephew

The Magician's Nephew by C.S. Lewis

Jun 13, 12

bookshelves: fantasy
Read from May 27 to June 13, 2012

I really should have read the Narnia books when I was younger. They're clearly written for a younger audience, and thus void of the mystery and hard magic and world building of most books in the genre. The writing is very transparent, obstacles are readily overcome, and the characters aren't complex to any unique degree.

And yet, I honestly liked this book. I probably shouldn't have, since I'm often quite hard on YA and children's books, but I found this book to be delightful. I think it's because there is so much imagination that is played just right, without pretense. It's straight-forward, ennobling, enlightening, and entertaining. Plus, Lewis' tendency to interject little quips is really amusing, harkening (to varying degrees) to the voices of Pushkin and other romantics.

Lewis is extremely important to the fantasy genre because he shows us the alternative to Tolkien, a mantle that Gaimen wears most prominently today. Rather than sweeping epics that are more in the vein of the epic myths of the past, Lewis taps into folklore and fairytales, the more localized and self-aware stories that children love and adults embrace.

All of that being said, I do wish I'd read this last, as it was one of the last ones written, as is my understanding. I'm fairly certain the other books will be stronger and may end up eclipsing this one. Until then, I'd give this book a 3.5 (4 for children).

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Magician's Nephew.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ray (new)

Ray Great review. However, I would consider Pushkin's tongue-in-cheek quips part as stemming from his Neoclassic sympathies rather than his Romantic sympathies. But whatever. He was influenced by both periods. I just associate the wry wit with the Neoclassic writers.

Paul Williams Really? I don't really know any Neoclassicals, but I have seen the technique used by Romantics. Once I am better educated I may change that little detail. Thanks for pointing that out.