Andree's Reviews > Moonwalking with Einstein: The Art and Science of Remembering Everything

Moonwalking with Einstein by Joshua Foer

F_50x66
Jun 16, 12

bookshelves: 2012
Read from June 13 to 16, 2012

I found this book eminently readable. And I thoroughly enjoyed it.

Did I vaguely toy with the idea of trying to improve my own memory, and use it in everyday life? Admittedly yes, albeit briefly. But I strongly suspect that I don't have the discipline that would be required for that. While I may use some of the basic concepts to remember random facts that I deem important on a day to day basis, I'm not going to learn how to memorize a deck of cards anytime soon. I just have no desire to put in the time, particularly when there's no practical application (not that there needs to be a practical application of course, just that the lack of one in this particular case means that I'm unlikely to give it a go).

What I did find interesting was the history of memory techniques, who uses them and why. Also the differing views on the importance of memory throughout history. As someone who (I think) has a fairly decent day to day memory, it has made me think about things differently, and understnad a little more how I remember things and why. (It's also confirmed something that I've long suspected, that auditory memories are rarely exact, even though they remember the gist of things well.)

So, I would recommend this to anyone with a passing interest in memory or how people think. It's an entertaining read, even if some of the subject matter is a little less than mainstream.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Moonwalking with Einstein.

06/13/2012 page 68